Recycled Antifreeze Coolant Fast Facts
- Antifreeze cannot be properly recycled using truck mounted equipment
- Antifreeze requires a distilling plant with the ability to remove heavy metals
- What is being recycled? Most shops dump all antifreeze formulas into one barrel for recycling. What are you getting back?
- Is it guaranteed? How does the recycler warranty the antifreeze?
- When in doubt, test samples of the recycled antifreeze coolant.
- Recyclers and re-cycling practices can vary dramatically from location to location.
- Some recyclers do little more than filter the antifreeze (Mobil based recyclers)
- Others remove all of the inhibitors, corrosion products and other contaminants from the glycol and refortify it with a new inhibitor blend
- Quality of the final recycled antifreeze coolant is very dependent on the recycler’s practices.
- What is the Glycol Quality?
- What is the Inhibitor package?
- Very important that you have an understanding of the technology the recycler is using to purify the glycol solution and the inhibitor technology they are using to restore the glycol back to a useful product. What is it? -conventional, extended life, hybrid, etc…
- The more closely the recycled product resembles “virgin” antifreeze, the more costly the antifreeze coolant will be to purchase
Ask for references and documentation which relates to product quality and approvals/compliances to ASTM requirements. Failure to provide written documentation that the finished product meets ASTM D-3306, ASTM D-4985 and ASTM D-6210 means the recycled product does not meet MINIMUM performance standards.