refrigerant section 609

Refrigerant Sales Restriction – EPA Requirements Section 608 and 609

EPA – United States Environmental Protection Agency

The sales restriction is established by EPA regulations (40 CFR Part 82, Subpart F) under Section 608 of the Clean Air Act. Only EPA-certified technicians are allowed to purchase ozone-depleting substances (ODS) used as refrigerants. Technicians may be certified under either the Section 608 or Section 609 technician certification programs. Starting on January 1, 2018, the requirements discussed on this page will also apply to most substitute refrigerants, including HFCs.

The sales restriction covers refrigerants contained in cylinders, cans, or drums, except for the sale of small cans of substitute refrigerants (e.g., R-1234YF) for use in motor vehicle air conditioners. This sales restriction does not cover refrigeration and air-conditioning equipment or components containing refrigerants.

Requirements to Purchase Refrigerant

  • The following people can buy any type of ozone-depleting refrigerant (or, starting Jan. 1, 2018, substitute refrigerant) under this sales restriction: Technicians who have earned the Section 608 Technician Certification.
  • Employers of a Section 608 certified technician (or the employer’s authorized representative) if the employer provides the refrigerant wholesaler with written evidence that he or she employs at least one properly certified technician.

The following people can buy refrigerant found acceptable for use in a motor vehicle air conditioner (MVAC):

  • Technicians who have earned Section 609 Technician Certification.

Only Section 608 certified technicians can purchase refrigerants intended for use with stationary refrigeration and air-conditioning equipment. Section 609 certified technicians cannot purchase refrigerants that are intended for use with stationary equipment, regardless of container size.

EPA is not restricting the sale of “small cans” containing less than 2 pounds of substitute refrigerants (e.g., HFC-134a) for use in MVACs.

Wholesaler Responsibilities when Selling Refrigerant

Wholesalers that sell either ozone-depleting or substitute refrigerants must retain invoices that indicate the name of the purchaser, the date of sale, and the quantity of refrigerant purchased.

Wholesalers that sell refrigerant for resale are legally responsible for ensuring that their customers fit into one of the categories of allowed purchasers under the sales restriction. Although the regulation does not specify precautions that wholesalers must take to verify the intent of individuals purchasing refrigerant, EPA recommends that wholesalers obtain a signed statement from the purchaser indicating that he or she is purchasing the refrigerant only for eventual resale to certified technicians.

Wholesalers also may sell refrigerant to the purchaser’s authorized representative if the purchaser provides evidence that he or she employs at least one certified technician. It is the wholesaler’s responsibility to determine whether persons who claim to represent a refrigerant purchaser are indeed authorized representatives. EPA recommends, but does not require, that wholesalers keep lists of authorized representatives to help with this determination.

If a wholesaler knows that refrigerant delivered to a purchaser when no one is present will ultimately be received by the purchaser or his authorized representative, then the wholesaler may deliver the refrigerant without obtaining the signature of an authorized representative.

MACS Worldwide Refrigerant Recovery and Recycling Technician Certification Program

MACS Section 609 Refrigerant Recycling and Recovery Certification Program
Effective 1/1/2018 Certification is required to purchase refrigerant

Required for the purchase of 30 pound cylinders

For Rowleys Wholesale Customers

The new regulation requires Rowleys Wholesale to receive the following information from our customers prior to us being able to sell it to you. Even if your business falls under one of the below exempt categories, the form is still required. Please fill out the form below and upload a copy of your certification to qualify to make Refrigerant purchases from Rowleys Wholesale.

Exempt transactions from having to complete the Certification Program are

  • Refrigerant sold for eventual resale to a certified technician
  • Refrigerant sold to an appliance manufacturer
  • Refrigerant sold for export


If you have any questions or concerns please contact us.


Refrigerant Certification

Section 608 United States Environmental Protection Agency. Effective 1/1/2018 all purchasers must complete the form one time.
  • Date Format: MM slash DD slash YYYY
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.



Please follow and like us:


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

5 × 4 =